[JPL] Colorado Gov. Bill Ritter makes official JAM proclamation for CO

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Tue Apr 8 17:05:46 EDT 2008

We in Denver and along the Front Range are very fortunate to have such a
vibrant jazz scene. We have a long list of distinguished players including
several internationally known artists who hail from here or live here. We
have several clubs offering live jazz every night with both local and
touring artists filling the bill, one of those venues is a Downbeat Top 100
jazz club, Dazzle. Throughout the year we have many festivals presenting the
entire spectrum of jazz, we have outstanding educational institutes for jass
an the middle, high and collegiate levels producing talented young ladies
and gents. Denver also has several recording labels calling the Mile High
City home releasing renown artists. We have an appreciative audience who
make the artists feel happy to perform here and keep returning. We also have
several traditional retail outlets that are doing well selling CDs in their
respective jazz sections. Add to all that, the natural beauty of Denver and
the surrounding mountains with much better than perceived weather. Oh yeah,
there is one more thing to be grateful for in Metro Denver that has made us
a hot bed of jazz and not a flyover destination, that us jazz89KUVO which
has help nuture all of the preceeding save for  geography and climate.
Yesterday we learned that besides having a city mayor who is a former jazz
club owner, KUVO supporter and lifelong jazz fan, the governor of Colorado,
Denver being the state capitol is also a jazz fan and yesterday he made an
official state proclamation declaring April to be Jazz Appreciation Month in
the Centinnial State. We were given a copy of the official proclamation
yesterday which we are having scanned in order to reproduce on our home
page. We consider it a feather in the jazz cap of Colorado's thriving jazz
community. While other areas' jazz scene is diminishing, ours continues to
flourish.

Arturo Gómez
Music Director, jazz89KUVO
The Oasis In The City