[JPL] Composer of "Stardust"

Gregory Thomas gtjazz22 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 13:42:56 EDT 2008

According to John Reilly, now retired from ASCAP:

  "To the best of my knowledge Carmichael & Parish are the
creators of "Stardust". You might be interested to
know that according to Richard Sudhalter's book
Stardust Melody: The Life and Music of Hoagy
Carmichael. Hoagy wrote a lyric for Stardust in 1927,
Saxophonist Wally Wilson also wrote a Stardust lyric
in 1928. Mitchell Parish's lyric, added in 1929 drew
freely on elements in both earlier lyrics. It is the
1929 Parish lyric that we are familiar with today."

  I'll report what Mr. Hendricks has to say to the above once I speak with him again.