[JPL] Composer of "Stardust"

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 14:55:25 EDT 2008

Was Jon Hendricks talking about who wrote the melody or the lyrics to the melody? These of course are two entirely different things.

  Jae Sinnett

Gregory Thomas <gtjazz22 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  This week's sponsor: Mack Avenue Records

Going for Adds 4/1/08

Three time Grammy(R) nominated guitar virtuoso Stanley Jordan makes his much anticipated return to the national spotlight with his Mack Avenue debut ''State of Nature.'' Featuring Jordan on both guitar and piano, playing both simultaneously at times, State of Nature also includes Charnett Moffett on bass, as well as Kenwood Dennard and David Haynes on drums.

State of Nature, which includes beautiful versions of All Blues and Song For My Father, also contains nine Jordan penned originals, as well as Jordan's interpretation of Joe Jackson's Steppin' Out.

For more information....

http://www.stanleyjordan.com
http://mackavenue.com/
http://www.groovmarketing.com

Radio Promotion by: GROOV Marketing and Consulting

(877) 476-6832
Mark Rini x 1
mark at groovmarketing.com
Josh Ellman x 2
josh at groovmarketing.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

According to John Reilly, now retired from ASCAP:

"To the best of my knowledge Carmichael & Parish are the
creators of "Stardust". You might be interested to
know that according to Richard Sudhalter's book
Stardust Melody: The Life and Music of Hoagy
Carmichael. Hoagy wrote a lyric for Stardust in 1927,
Saxophonist Wally Wilson also wrote a Stardust lyric
in 1928. Mitchell Parish's lyric, added in 1929 drew
freely on elements in both earlier lyrics. It is the
1929 Parish lyric that we are familiar with today."

I'll report what Mr. Hendricks has to say to the above once I speak with him again.

Sponsorship information: jplsponsor at jazzweek.com