[JPL] Rochester Jazz Festival/Skatalites

Michael Edwards bluriter at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 10 16:34:50 EDT 2008

The Skatalites were inheritors of a Jamaican jazz tradition that preceded their official formation (1963) by at least 30 years, with groups like the Eric Deans Orchestra, and soloists like Jiver Hutchinson (who played alongside Louis Armstrong in London). All of their players, including the late trombonist Don Drummond  (I'm completing a novel based on his life) were heavily into and influenced by Coltrane, Parker and the other giants.

Seek God continually