[JPL] Re; Ozzie Cadena - R.I.P. w/odd omission

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Sat Apr 12 15:20:25 EDT 2008

I am very saddened to read about the demise of Ozzie Cadena, his liners for
Presitge rank among my favorites. I found it a bit bizarre that Jocelyn Y.
Stewart,  the writer of the obit twice made reference to the owner of
Newark's Savoy Records but did not mention him by name, he was Herman
Lubinsky, famed for his abuse of artists, low wages for his employees,
ripping off royalties, ties to the mob and cantakerous personality. a very
short fact finfing mission would've revealed Savoy Records owner if she
didn't know. Pianist Johnny Guarnieri immortalized Herman in song in his
Savoy label Christmas ditty, "Santa' Secret"-a song about Santa smoking
reefer, during his piano solo Johnny ad libs, "...oh! look at ole' Lubinsky
dancing in the studio, he's setting back music 20 years..."  My ex is from
East Orange-Newark and in the early 70s I spend 2 weeks every summer in the
Newark area and in Downtown Newark's Broad St near Central Ave and across
from Military Park,  there was the other Klein's on the Square where Savoy
Records' former office was located, across from the previous and current
location of WBGO. Despite Lubinsky's unethical tactics Savoy Records
released some great music, jazz, blues, RnB, gospel and vocal harmony
groups.

Arturo