[JPL] Promo CD sales / disposal question

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 15 13:16:22 EDT 2008

OK, regardless of the merits of this case it brings up a question for
JPL'ers I've been longing to ask and it can be a touchy subject.  What
DO you do with all the CDs you receive that you'll never play?  I still
haven't decided and I'm about to be crowded out of my studio by
cascading stacks of CDs by unknown artists and more boxes of the same
in the backroom.

Some are "OK" - by that I mean if you heard them playing in a lounge
somewhere you wouldn't necessarily go elsewhere for a drink.  But you
wouldn't buy their CD or play it on the air.  I try to listen to
everything that comes in but maybe only 1 in 5 actually gets
significant airtime while the rest stack up. What do I do with the
rest?   Bury them in the backyard or put them in the trash and add to
our landfill problems?

Some say give them to libraries or music schools or "Goodwill", but is
circulating mediocre music a disservice?   If I'm donating CDs I'd like
them to be examples of excellence in our music, not the dregs I
wouldn't play on the show.

What do YOU do with CDs you won't be playing on the air?

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org