[JPL] Promo CD sales / disposal question

Bradley M. Stone bstone at science.sjsu.edu
Tue Apr 15 13:41:49 EDT 2008

Aloha Jim,

Excellent topic.  I agree with your assessment - the vast majority of
the CDs that we receive I believe have some merit - these musicians have
talent, and I often say exactly as you did - if I saw them in a
coffeeshop, pub or Vegas hotel, I would be happy to listen to them over
a drink.  The question we have to ask ourselves continually is "does
this project deserve airplay on a national level?".  That, coupled with
airtime limitations, the need to keep a disciplined playlist, and the
necessity for giving records in heavy or medium rotation their just due
(i.e. sufficient spins to build some possible familiarity and profile)
means that, as you point out, only a fraction get some airplay (I might
put at 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 make it onto the air at KSJS).  Given that I am
a bit of a pack rat, and reluctant to let go of any CD that has some
merit, means that my 2500 square foot house has stacks of CDs in every
room!

The light is on (but growing dimmer due to CDs in front of the lamp).

Brad

Dr. Brad Stone
Music Director (Jazz, Blues World)
Faculty Advisor