[JPL] Promo CD sales / disposal question

Bluenightrecords at aol.com Bluenightrecords at aol.com
Tue Apr 15 15:32:38 EDT 2008

Hello All,

I'd like to chime in on this issue from the label's perspective.  When  we
send out a promo CD to a radio programmer, we consider it a sunk  cost.  We
understand that you folks get many unsolicited recordings, and we  take our
chances that what we send might never reach the airwaves in some  markets.  When
that's the case, though, we'd rather see the CDs given away  or, if sold, we'd
like the revenue to go to a worthy cause (a charity, a  publicly-funded station,
etc.).  That way, the music is likely to be heard  in someone's home or
office, which constitutes additional exposure for the  artists and their music.
Throwing them away accomplishes neither.

It's true that our industry is in trouble.  Making a profit on a jazz  record
is extremely difficult these days, and some of us are running small  labels
merely to enhance the careers of great artists and bring their music to  more
ears.  If radio stations want to sell the promo CDs they choose not to  place
in rotation, and assuming the resulting revenues are used in a way  that
furthers the interests of the artists and art we all love, I still  consider that a
positive result for all of us.

Just my $.02.

Steven Briggs
Blue Night Records