[JPL] Promo CD sales / disposal question

OntheBeach at aol.com OntheBeach at aol.com
Wed Apr 16 05:28:20 EDT 2008

jwilke123 at comcast.net writes:

is
circulating mediocre music a disservice?   If I'm donating CDs I'd like
them to be examples of excellence in our music, not the dregs I
wouldn't play on the show.

great point jim...i'd say 20+% of the CDs coming out are very marginal, of
very little (no?)>redeeming value.  the plastic jewel cases should be
recycleable in most US cities.

the discs? hmmm: farmers can hang them in the fields--seems to keep the crows
off the crops!

i'd suggest another 20-35+% dont qualify as being suitable for national
airplay but could enrich the lives of some less fortunate people.

perhaps IAJE (i'm hopeful in general, fingers crossed) or  JAI or one of the
larger jazz societies could organize an initiative to assist stations in
distributing such music to those less fortunate.

there is a forgotten segment of our society that stretches from the
reservations, across rural areas into some of our once great cities and to the nooks
and crannies of those that remain great.

most dj's and radio people know the value of used (or even unplayed CDs) from
the first category above: it is between zero and ten cents apiece.(and they
dont want the zeros either)  the second category might garner ten to twenty
five cents (a bit more if you're lucky).

seems except in case of hardship the station could build good will by
distributing category two to folks with less.

the better discs, not needed, might be traded for credit towards filling in
holes in the library!

stations might also consider running a contest--empower listeners and people
in your community to come up with the best idea or solution.  there could even
be (a) regional and national prize(es).  perhaps downbeat, jazztimes or
jazziz et al could assist by reaching out to readers.

{from someone whose head spins from time to time thinking about the 40,000
odd LPs that passed through my hands (of which i once had about 6500 in a
collection, pre-CD).  ..and having not given up the ghost completely, now collects
10"}

ricky schultz
jazzconsultant.com

Finance.      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)