[JPL] Re: Promo CD sales/disposal question

Leslie A. Stewart djgrrl at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 16 08:51:30 EDT 2008

When I worked at WFPL/WFPK, we routinely gave unused or extra promo copies
to our volunteers, and those that weren't picked up were sometimes donated
to local halfway houses, homeless shelters and organizations such as the
Center for Women and Families.  A lot of those women arrived at the shelter
without any of their posessions beyond the clothes on their backs, and
having music that we considered "too boring" to play was actually just right
for soothing and relaxing listening under highly stressful circumstances.  I
had an incarcerated listener once who wrote me to inquire about the late
Jorge Dalto - I remembered that I had a promo cassette of his last release
and just sent it to him.  He was so profoundly grateful that it was almost
embarassing.  In fact, I got a note from a pub radio station in Cincinnati a
few years later saying that this guy had made a pledge to their station in
my name once he'd returned home!  So, when ear X-tacy had a big closet
cleaning of our numerous label titles a few years back, we donated boxes to
several area prisons (not all will accept them as not all have music
libraries, and the ones that do have pretty strict regulations about what is
deemed appropriate - no rap or anything that might incite violence - but
most instrumental and light vocal jazz records are usually quite welcomed).
Please think about sharing music with those less fortunate who can't afford
to buy music or who aren't even in a position to buy music before tossing or
even recycling.

Leslie

Leslie A. Stewart Media Relations
1914 Bonnycastle Ave.