[JPL] Next Week on XM 72-Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Apr 17 10:22:52 EDT 2008

It’s the final week of our celebration of JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH in APRIL as we focus on great percussionists with many of our special shows.  We’ll also focus on the great Herbie Mann, who celebrates a birthday in April, and spring a ton of new music on you this Sunday as well!

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
(((XM))) SATELLiTE RADiO
33 West 60th Street
10th Floor
New York, NY 10023
russ.davis at xmradio.com

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (21-27 April, 2008)

This Monday, April 21st, we’ll present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of one of the most popular flutists in jazz history, HERBIE MANN! You’ll hear the story of his incredible life and career and a full hour of his wonderful music. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and this week it’s HERBIE MANN whose birthday we celebrated on April 16th!

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino.  Michelle says if you listen to the show you’ll get music with that "jamband" jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' feel that ya just can't hear anywhere else. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. It’s JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION with Michelle Sammartino! This week, Michelle joins in our “percussion” theme for our final week of JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH with a show she calls “BEAT BEATERS” featuring masters of the drums and vibes like Stanton Moore, Mike Dillon, Scott Amendola, Billy Martin and more.

Some of the greatest bands in all of jazz history have been led by drummers and vibists so this week we’ll GIVE THE DRUMMER SOME on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and as we continue our celebration of JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH, this week with a theme of percussionists, we’ll focus on the best live performances we can dig up by the artists who pick up sticks and beat on stuff in a most creative way. It’s Billy Cobham, Tony Williams, Dave Samuels of Caribbean Jazz Project, Chico Hamilon and more. We’ll GIVE THE DRUMMER SOME on this week’s edition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

During the final week of our celebration of JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH we’ll give you, as we give you every Friday, an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. And this week’s theme is THE GREAT FUSION DRUMMERS. Beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific we’ll begin each hour with a classic fusion piece from the likes of Lenny White, Billy Cobham, Tony Williams, Chico Hamilton, Roy Haynes & more. It’s THE GREAT FUSION DRUMMERS on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on XM 72, BEYOND JAZZ.

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition, as part of our weeklong salute to percussionists during JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH, Mark will focus on one of his favorite drummers in all of Modern Jazz history, the great ROY HAYNES!

On Saturday, April 26th, the fourth weekend of our celebration of JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH, Beyond Jazz presents another edition of “WORDS & MUSIC” as we continue our themed presentations based on instrumentation, with a special show we call “BEATING ON STUFF.” You’ll hear the thoughts and tunes of those who play sit behind the drum kit or stand behind the vibes and make MOJA magic…greats like Billy Cobham, Dave Samuels, Stanton Moore, Gary Burton,  Chico Hamilton, Stefon Harris and many more. It all starts at Noon and lasts through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific) as we begin each hour with conversation followed music from those who take sticks in hand to make great MOJA.  It’s “BEATING ON STUFF,” the theme of this week’s edition of “WORDS & MUSIC.”

PREMIER SUNDAY on Beyond Jazz…XM 72
This Sunday, April 27th, will be another PREMIER SUNDAY here on Beyond Jazz as we spring four great new releases on you.  Last week we premiered the new release “STATE OF NATURE” by guitar wizard STANLEY JORDAN.  You’ll hear more from that one all week long.  Plus, during the week on Jammin’ Jazz with Michelle, you’ll hear the debut of the newest from the reigning master of New Orleans drummers STANTON MOORE with an incredible trio featuring ROBERT WALTER and WILL BERNARD on his CD EMPHASIS (ON PARENTHESIS).  Listen for more from that this Sunday too. Then, get ready for more new stuff, including a cool new work from an all-star cast making music with a decidedly world-music influence on a new CD called “GLOBAL NOISE.” You’ll hear greats like DJ LOGIC, JASON MILES, KARL DENSON, MESHELL NDEGEOCELLO, BILLY MARTIN and many more. It’s cutting edge groove and sonic exploration blending jazz and electronica.  Then we’ll top it off with two unbelievable live recordings made in Europe.  First it’s THE HEADHUNTERS featuring original members MIKE CLARK and BILL SUMMERS along with DONALD HARRISON and MARK SHIM with “ON TOP,” recorded live in France.  Then get blown away with a Jammin’ live thing, and that’s jammin’ with a capital J, by England’s JAMES TAYLOR QUARTET with “LIVE @ THE JAZZ CAFÉ LONDON.”  As my grandpa used to say…”That dawg will hunt!”
So listen for these new releases beginning at 5 PM Eastern time, that’s 2 PM Pacific, this Sunday, April 27th,  another PREMIER SUNDAY here on Beyond Jazz.

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.