[JPL] Bobby Broom record

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 18 00:57:01 EDT 2008

George, and anyone else interested,

If you record with a single inexpensive stereo mic 3 tables back from
the stage in a club the predominate sound picked up is what's closest
to the mic:  the audience at the tables around the mic.  Notice on the
CD how one person's hand claps are so audible?  That's the guy
recording the show, he's the closest source of sound.   Sounds like
he's right beside the mic and the band is about 20 feet away, or more.
  Also, this is not high art in the perception of this audience ...
they're there to cruise and booze but they like the musical
accompaniment.

Recording engineers will tell you it's all about mic placement.  I've
recorded hundreds of performances in jazz clubs, concerts and
over-reverberant museums and cathedrals, and if the mics are within 6"
- 12" of the instruments the audience will sound miles away.  (signal
to noise, right?)  I often add mics aimed at the audience to pick up
the applause so I can turn them up or down as needed.

Most Monterey and Newport festival concerts are recorded from on-stage
mics and sound great, but I've also heard a few that sound like amateur
bootlegs from a portable recorder 30'  or more away from the stage - we
hear the house sound speakers and the audience on either side of the
recorder's mic.  Also, a good house sound mix is rarely a good
recording mix.   Recent Keystone Korner CDs illustrate that - they were
obviously taken from the house sound mix and lack the bass and sizzle
of a good recording mix.

I love recording live jazz on location.  It's true that the best
performances are often impossible to duplicate in the studio, but if
you also want good sound you have to use good mics for each instrument
and keep them close to the instruments.  My models and inspirations
have been and still are Rudy Van Gelder's recordings of Blakey at
Birdland and Cafe Bohemia, Wally Heider's many live recordings around
LA,  and Phil Edwards in the Bay area.

More than you wanted to know, right?

Jim Wilke
Hatchcover Productions