[JPL] New music by Tom Varner Tentet premieres on KPLU

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 18 01:09:54 EDT 2008

Excerpts from the world premiere of "Heaven and Hell" for tentet
composed by Tom Varner will air on Jazz Northwest Sunday April 20 at 1
pm PDT on 88.5, KPLU and www.kplu.org.  Recorded at this month's Art of
Jazz Concert at the Seattle Art Museum, the 13-part work was conducted
by Mr.Varner who also played French Horn.

According to the composer, the "heaven" is being in the moment with his
family here in Seattle, the "hell" is our planet's last 6 1/2 years,
and the piece is a reflection on that juxtaposition.  He says it's also
a look back at the "extreme emotional state" of being New Yorkers on
9/11/01 while preparing to go to Hanoi in nine days to adopt their son
Jack.  He concludes, "In the end, it all worked out ... we adopted our
daughter Hope in '04, moved to Seattle in '05, and here we are, a
Seattle family now."

Musically, "Heaven and Hell" reflects his "love of Messiaen,
Stravinsky, Miles Davis, and Charles Mingus.  It evolved into a wind
octet plus bass and drums - a chamber group that can breathe together,
improvise and play jazz and new music."

Jazz Northwest is also streamed to the internet and available as a
podcast after the airdate from kplu.org.

Jim Wilke
Hatchcover Productions