[JPL] The official word from IAJE

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 17:22:33 EDT 2008

What will be really interesting is how the court rules on the local chapters. They carry the name and could be sucked down this black hole as well...pretty much solidifying its demise.

  Jae Sinnett

EdBride at aol.com wrote:
  This week's sponsor: MFA - Jazz Radio Promotion, Publicity and Consulting

ADDING NOW

Guitarist/vocalist LUIS MARIO OCHOA - MOMENTOS CUBANOS w/ pianist Hilario Duran - sublime instrumental and vocal performances of classic and original Latin American tunes

STILL ADDING

Alto saxophonist JALEEL SHAW - OPTIMISM w/ Robert Glasper, Lage Lund, Jeremy Pelt - modern jazz as it's being created today!

Vocalist KAREN BLIXT - MAD HOPE w/ Patrice Rushen, Randy Brecker, Will Kennedy, Abraham Laboriel, Alex Acuna, Kenny Washington - a set of highly original jazz vocals!

ADDING APRIL 21

Vocalist LAINIE COOKE and IT'S ALWAYS YOU w/ Joel Frahm. People who know a 'real' jazz singer when they hear one love Lainie. Here she sings about finding and losing love in performances that contain no hype nor attitude but rather resonate with pure emoting backed by the gravitas only true life experience can endow in an artist.

FOLLOW THE NORTH STAR by alto saxophonist/flutist TK BLUE w/ Steve Turre and Onaje Alan Gumbs. TK, who tours with Randy Weston when not on his own, exemplifies the Afro-centric tradition pioneered by Rashaan Roland Kirk, Yusef Lateef, Pharoah Sanders and Gary Bartz he, Turre and Babatunde Lea are keeping alive today.

MitchellFeldmanAssociates at Comcast.net
www.JazzRadioPromotionAndPublicity.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Members of IAJE received this official notification by email today,
Ed

Dear IAJE Family,

It is with a great sense of loss that I inform you that despite drastic
efforts to cut expenses and raise emergency funds, the IAJE Board has voted to
file for bankruptcy under Chapter 7 of the Federal Bankruptcy Law. I want to
thank profusely those who responded with their generous donations and offers of
assistance following my last communication. While over 250 individuals
contributed just over $12,000, this, along with the many other efforts and
contributions of IAJE staff, Board members, and association partners, was simply not
enough to address the accumulated debt of the organization or its urgent
need for cash relief.

In the next few days, a Kansas bankruptcy court will appoint a trustee to
oversee all ongoing aspects of the association. This includes the ability to
examine IAJE's financial records and mount an independent inquiry into the
causes of it's financial downfall as well as disposing of the remaining assets of
the association with proceeds distributed to creditors in accordance with
Kansas and Federal law. The board will no longer be involved in operation of
the organization and will at some point resign. IAJE as it presently stands
will no longer exist.

Approximately a week after filing, all potential creditors of the
association will receive notice of the association's filing from the court. Members who
desire additional information regarding the petition, including a complete
listing of association assets and liabilities, may retrieve this, as it is a
public document, through normal court procedures. Undoubtedly, however, you
will have more immediate questions deserving of responses I hope to address in
this report.

Since the first communication to the membership outlining this crisis, there
has been considerable public speculation as to its causes. As noted in that
communication, years of dependence upon the conference as a primary (but
unreliable) revenue stream and the launch of a well-intentioned capital campaign
(the Campaign for Jazz), which generated a meager response but required
considerable expenditures in advance of contributions, drove the association into
insolvency. Sadly, the attendance at the conference in Toronto (the lowest in
10 years) exacerbated an already critical situation, depriving the
association of the cash-flow needed to continue daily operations as well as the time
needed to seek alternative resources.

While ultimately not able to skirt the financial land mines placed in its
path, I want to assure you the IAJE Board has acted responsibly, ethically, and
with a sense of urgency ever since it was blindsided last fall with the
discovery of the extent of the accumulated association debt. Since that time, the
board slashed spending, set specific performance targets for the Executive
Director, sought outside consultations, and enlisted the services of several
past-presidents and strategic association partners in attempts to raise funds
- sadly, with minimal success.

It goes without saying, the board you elected is comprised of very
accomplished, intelligent, and dedicated educators and professionals who have given
generously of their time in service to this association and care about it
passionately. Likewise, our entire professional staff, led by Associate Executive
Director, Vivian Orndorff, and Executive Producer, Steve Baker, has worked
heroically in the face of declining resources to meet the needs of the
association and its members. I wanted to take this opportunity to thank both the
board and staff for their service. I have been privileged and honored to serve
with them. While there may be those who question specific decisions or
strategies in efforts to meet this crisis, the dedication and integrity of these
individuals should never be in doubt.

As we move forward, one of the most pressing questions is how the operations
of individual chapters and affiliated associations will be affected by this
filing. Since our chapters are either separate corporate entitles or
voluntary associations with their own boards, constitutions and bylaws; IAJE views
them as completely independent entities. Ultimately, however, the trustee and
the court will make this determination and it is anticipated that the trustee
may request certain information from the chapters in this regard.

Sadly, the 2009 IAJE International Conference in Seattle has been cancelled.
However, there has been some discussion of mounting a regional conference in
its place. At the moment, Lou Fischer, U.S. Board Representative is fielding
inquiries: _ljazzmanf at yahoo.com_ (mailto:ljazzmanf at yahoo.com) .

For the time being, the IAJE website will remain up. However, the
international offices of IAJE will close their doors at the end of the day on Friday,
April 18th. Should there be additional questions you may submit them to
_info at iaje.org_ (mailto:info at iaje.org) and every attempt will be made to respond
to these as staffing allows.

Today, we, the members of IAJE and the global jazz community, face an
extremely important task. For, as we all recognize, the opportunities, impact, and
work of this association are too vital to simply disappear. Whether you were
first drawn to IAJE for its conference, its magazine or research
publications, its student scholarship programs such as Sisters in Jazz or the Clifford
Brown/Stan Getz All-Stars, its Teacher Training Institutes, the resources
provided through its website or Resource Team, or any one of a number of other
offerings; it is clear the mission of IAJE still resonates and its advocacy is
needed today more than ever. We must, therefore, look at this as an
opportunity to refocus the mission, scope, programs, and vision of IAJE (or whatever
succeeds it) to better meet the needs of our members and the jazz community not
only today but looking toward the future.

I am, in no way, suggesting the membership turn a blind eye towards the need
for an independent inquiry into causes and ultimately assigning
responsibility for this situation. I ask you recognize the court appointed trustee, who
will have access to all necessary documents and facts, is charged with that
task. Our efforts and our passion, should be to collectively rally the
community to recognize the importance IAJE has had and continues to have in the life
and development of jazz and jazz education - seeking new strategic
partnerships, new government structures, and a revitalized mission that embraces
current needs.

Already there are efforts to do just that. I know that Mary Jo Papich, who
would have begun serving her term as President of IAJE beginning this July, is
dedicated to recreating such an association. As many know, Mary Jo has been
a tireless advocate for IAJE, serving it long and well. You will,
undoubtedly, be hearing from her in the near future. When she does contact you, I urge
you to join me in offering her every support and assistance. Of course, others
may also seek to fill this void by promoting alternative visions for
empowering, serving, and gathering the jazz community. While I generally believe
such diversity is quite healthy, I would strongly encourage all such efforts and
leaders to attempt to collaborate and seek ways to unite us in spirit and
strength.

Finally, I would encourage you to recognize and remember IAJE for all the
tremendous good it has done in the past 40 years. Many individuals have
contributed along the way, often at considerable personal sacrifice of their time
and resources, to establish and advance the work of this association. Much has
been achieved that can never be taken away! Therefore, the vision, effort,
and shared passion that have fueled the growth of IAJE and its programs should
not be forgotten or considered in vain. Rather, the spirit that is IAJE must
be rekindled into a new vision for the future.

Sincerely,

The IAJE Board - Chuck Owen, President

listings at AOL Autos.

Sponsorship information: jplsponsor at jazzweek.com