[JPL] Next Week on XM 72-Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Apr 24 09:50:38 EDT 2008

Happy birthday STEVE KHAN!...Big Ups to THE BIG EASY with salutes to The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival…Spending Saturday with the master bassist VICTOR WOOTEN…a new Top 20 revealed with the latest BJ Chart…Fusion Friday…Your Email on Sunday…The Sunday Specials…not a lot going on as you can see! ;>)

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
(((XM))) SATELLiTE RADiO
33 West 60th Street
10th Floor
New York, NY 10023
russ.davis at xmradio.com

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (28 April-4 May, 2008)

This Monday, April 28th, we’ll present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of one of the most popular guitarists in jazz history on the very day of his birthday. It’s the man from Los Angeles, STEVE KHAN! You’ll hear the story of his incredible life and career and a full hour of his wonderful music as we celebrate the man who’s been a major artist from the days of the Fusion Era to today. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and this week we wish a very happy birthday to the great STEVE KHAN!

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino.  Michelle says if you listen to the show you’ll get music with that "jamband" jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' feel that ya just can't hear anywhere else. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. It’s JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION with Michelle Sammartino! This week, Michelle gives you a show all about The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, going on this week.  Michelle gives you the flavor of the festival as well as some history of her fave festival of the year and of course some of that great NOLA music like Galactic, Dr. John, The Wild Magnolias, The Meters, Bonerama and a whole lot more!

This week we’ll present a BIG EASY BASH on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we’ll take you to that unique city way down yonder where jazz was born…The Cresent City, The Big Easy…New Orleans.  Yes, NOLA’s on the rebound and a big reason why is the incredible group of musicians who call it home and refuse to let its great musical heart stop beating.  So as we celebrate the 38th edition of Jazz Fest join us to hear some of the city’s finest live.  It’s Galactic, Bonerama, Papa Grows Funk and many more, and they’re part of the BIG EASY BASH on this week’s LIVE @ BJ'S!

Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific we’ll begin each hour with a classic fusion piece and give you the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. Some say fusion ruined jazz, while others say it saved the music.  You know how we feel, so listen and make up your own mind. IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on XM 72, BEYOND JAZZ.

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark gives us the highlights of the top 20 from the new Beyond Jazz chart for the month of May and tells you how you can get a copy of the chart yourself.

On Saturday, May 3rd, Beyond Jazz presents another edition of “WORDS & MUSIC” as we place our spotlight on one of the hottest bassists and composers in jazz today, with a special presentation we call “VICTOR WOOTEN: MAGICIAN OF THE BASS.” We’ll cover every aspect of his brilliant career from his beginnings as the youngest of 5 boys in a very musical family, to his association with the multi-grammy award winning band Bela Fleck & the Flectones, his unique take on how the bass fits into music today, and his work as a solo artist with a special focus on his newest solo release “Palmystery.” It all starts at Noon and lasts through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific) as we begin each hour with conversation followed some of Victor’s great music.  It’s “VICTOR WOOTEN: MAGICIAN OF THE BASS,” on this week’s edition of “WORDS & MUSIC.”

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.