[JPL] Jimmy Giuffre

Bradley M. Stone bstone at science.sjsu.edu
Fri Apr 25 13:11:37 EDT 2008

Aloha Jim,

Sad news about Jimmy, but thanks for bringing it to us.

Have a happy birthday tomorrow!

The light is on.

Brad

Dr. Brad Stone
Music Director (Jazz, Blues World)
Faculty Advisor
KSJS 90.5 FM
1 Washington Square
San Jose State University
San Jose, CA   95192-0094

Home Office:
9381 Durango Lane
Gilroy, CA   95020
bstone at science.sjsu.edu
(408) 848-6266

I'm sorry to report that I just heard from Juanita Giuffre that Jimmy
died of pneumonia and Parkinson's today (April 24) two days before what
would have been his 87th birthday.  I met them (via email) because they
listened regularly to my show and we discovered that Jimmy and I shared
our birthday, April 26.  We usually exchanged cards this time of year.

He was most famous for "Four Brothers" with Woody, or with Shorty
Rogers "Martians Go Home" or the Lighthouse All Stars, but fewer are
aware of the beautiful very personal music he made in the 70's, 80's
and 90s, much of it very free but in a thoughtful, non-aggressive kind
of way.  He was very important as a teacher as well, notably at the New
England Conservatory.   I'm spending the evening listening to some of
Jimmy's great trio music... right now the trio with Paul Bley and Steve
Swallow "Fly Away Little Bird".   I just read a beautiful article on
Jimmy written about 5 years ago by Rex Butters on allaboutjazz.com .

Jim Wilke