[JPL] Art Form vs. Radio?

Claudia Russell crussell at sdccd.edu
Fri Apr 25 15:20:22 EDT 2008

Hello, O' Wise Programmers!

Here is the question we're pondering today at Jazz 88.3:

To play or not to play...a classic jazz composition with a straight up
arrangement featuring a vocalist that sounds classical.  For example,
Ellington's "Come Sunday."  The version that sparked the debate is from David
Matthews & The Manhattan Jazz Orchestra featuring a spot-on, but classical
sounding Christine Sperry.

Would you play it on your straight ahead jazz station?
Would you daypart it on your straight ahead jazz station?
Would you keep it limited to specialty shows (vocal spotlights or big band
features)?

Feel free to reply off-list or on, but I appreciate your input.

Peace,
Claudia

Claudia Russell
Program Director