[JPL] Big Band Singer

Michael Valentine mjazzer at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 14:13:09 EDT 2008

  Dennis Rowland  or Kevin mahogany

jassav at comcast.net wrote:  This week's sponsor: Chico Hamilton hits w/ ''It's About Time! EP'' on Joyous Shout!

''My first recording as a leader was a trio with Howard Roberts on guitar and George Duvivier on bass- a 10'' LP made for Pacific Jazz in 1955. This album was virtually the first recording made with the focus on the members of the rhythm section as lead instruments. Fifty- three years later we've recorded 'It's About Time!' in the same trio format with Cary DeNigris on guitar and Paul Ramsey on bass. These two brilliant players are my right hand and my left hand.''

-- Chico Hamilton

www.myspace.com/chicohamilton
Publicity: april at amtpublicrelations.com
Label: joyshout at evansville.net

We are putting the finishing touches on the Savannah Jazz Festival (Held in late Sept) & I wanted to ask the panel for suggestions about who might, in your festival experience, be a great singer to front a big band. The singer would have to have big band charts.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Larry

Larry Dane-Kellogg
WHCJ 90-.3 FM / Savannah Jazz Festival