[JPL] Big Band Singer

TomtheJazzman tomthejazzman at embarqmail.com
Wed Apr 30 14:39:18 EDT 2008

Larry, I know from our previous conservations via email that you have a
limited budget.  Many of the great artist suggested will just be
impossible with your budget constraints.  Routing could help if an
artists is coming through,  With that in mind I have seen Pizzarelli
with the Basie Band and he is great.  Also Diane Schuur and Nnenna
Freelon have worked with the Basie Band so I know they can do big band
charts.

I surely second the recommendation of Lois Gilbert about Denise Graves.
She was at IAJE in Toronto and was very good and also very personable.
Denise lives in Saint Louis and as Lois stated did perform at the White
House on Valentine's Day.  She will also be on the Jazz Cruise LLC this
coming November for a week.  Get her before the rates really jump.  When
she sang with Jon Hendricks in Toronto he asked her  where had she been
and told her she was ready for the big time.  Great endorsement in my
book.  Denise has a wonderful voice and can get into the Blues in a
heartbeat which always seems to go over well with live audiences.

I'll be glad to talk more off line if you wish.
ALOHA
Tom