[JPL] Big Band Singer

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 20:17:44 EDT 2008

It's interesting in that a few have mentioned Patti Austin. Makes me think of the band that will be backing up the singer there....Patti's charts are a bear to play. I know she has some of the "Ella" charts and more than likely some of the Abene arrangements he did for the Gershwin recording. Whew! If by some chance Patti is the choice the band will have to be top of the line to pull those arrangements off. Which big band will be backing up the singer? I would also recommend Jamie Davis. Wonderful singer and swings hard. He has a great feel for big band concept singing and reminds me a lot of how Joe Williams approached singing with the jazz orchestra.

  Jae Sinnett

Lazaro Vega <wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com> wrote:
  This week's sponsor: Chico Hamilton hits w/ ''It's About Time! EP'' on Joyous Shout!

''My first recording as a leader was a trio with Howard Roberts on guitar and George Duvivier on bass- a 10'' LP made for Pacific Jazz in 1955. This album was virtually the first recording made with the focus on the members of the rhythm section as lead instruments. Fifty- three years later we've recorded 'It's About Time!' in the same trio format with Cary DeNigris on guitar and Paul Ramsey on bass. These two brilliant players are my right hand and my left hand.''

-- Chico Hamilton

www.myspace.com/chicohamilton
Publicity: april at amtpublicrelations.com
Label: joyshout at evansville.net