[JPL] McCoy Tyner/Mark Ribot

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Fri Aug 1 22:41:04 EDT 2008

> Nou Dadoun wrote:
>
>> Just noticed on McCoy Tyner's website that he's got a couple of west
>> coast
>> dates in November (Seattle and Vancouver) of his trio with special guest
>> Mark Ribot (!)  Anybody know anything about this unusual
>> collaboration?  Is
>> there a recording forthcoming?

This is from the press release I got about the New McCoy.

WHAT:  The trailer for GUITARS, McCoy Tyner’s latest CD/DVD release on
Half Note Records/McCoy Tyner Music is now online - Click here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j966AGrGXZU. On September 23, 2008 McCoy
Tyner will release a CD/DVD titled GUITARS featuring a trio of Ron
Carter, Jack DeJohnette and special guest guitarists Bela Fleck, Derek
Trucks, John Scofield, Marc Ribot and Bill Frisell. As shown in the
trailer on YouTube, the DVD has multiple viewing capabilities (6
different viewing angles). The CD/DVD if full of surprises, including 3
free jazz duets with Marc Ribot, McCoy classics with Bela Fleck and John
Scofield, traditional tunes with Derek Trucks, and some ethereal
originals by Bill Frisell. He’ll be at the Blue Note in December to
celebrate the music of this release and his 70th birthday on December
11. Contact jk at bluenote.net for all press related requests.

WITH: McCoy Tyner (piano), Ron Carter (bass), Jack DeJohnette (drums),
Bill Frisell (guitar), John Scofield (guitar), Marc Ribot (guitar),
Derek Trucks (guitar), Bela Fleck (banjo)

RELEASE DATE:  September 23, 2008

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston