[JPL] JzFmS4 PLAYLIST WGBH Boston 8/1/08

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Sat Aug 2 00:10:51 EDT 2008

Friday, Aug 1, 8pm­midnight, WGBH 89.7

CELEBRATING HANK JONES @ 90 (b. 7.31.1918)
NEWPORT JAZZ FESTIVAL PREVIEW
56TH ANNUAL DOWN BEAT CRITICS POLL, etc

8:00pm
THEME: Horace Parlan Quintet: Wadin', Speakin' My Piece (Blue Note)

8:05pm
Hank Jones; (b. 7/31/1918): I Guess I'll Have To Change My Plans,
Live at Maybeck Vol. Sixteen (Concord)
Charlie Haden; Hank Jones: Wade in The Water, Steal Away (Verve)
Hank Jones: Lady Luck, Upon Reflection (Verve)

8:25pm
Maria Schneider: Sky Blue, Sky Blue (Artist Share)
Cassandra Wilson: Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most,
Loverly (Blue Note)
Sonny Rollins: Grand Street, Sonny Rollins and The Big Brass (Verve)

8:48pm
Charles McPherson; played Scullers Jazz Club 7/31/08): Marionette,
Come Play With Me (Arabesque)
Charles McPherson: I Get A Kick Out of You, McPherson's Mood (Prestige)
Charles McPherson: I Didn't Know What Time it Was,
But Beautiful (Venus Records)

9:14pm
Esperanza Spalding: Body and Soul, Esperanza (Heads Up Records)
Aaron Goldberg: MAO's Blues, Unfolding (JCurve)
Christian Scott: So What, Rewind That (Concord)
Aretha Franklin: Skylark, The Queen in Waiting (Columbia)

9:38pm
Hank Jones: A Hankerin', Hank and Frank (Lineage Records)
Hank Jones: SKJ Blues, For My Father (Justin time)
Hank Jones: Two Sleepy People, Tiptoe Tapdance (Galaxy)

10:02pm
Ernie Andrews; Marblehead Jazz, Aug 9, 2008:
You've Got To Pass Your House To Get To My House, How About Me (high Note)
Ernie Andrews: If You Could See Me Now, From The Heart (Discovery LP)
Ernie Andrews: That's the Way My Baby Closes Her Eyes, The Singles 1945-1958
(Decca 48096 78 rpm (1947))

10:17pm
Kurt Elling: Tight, Nightmoves (Concord)
Andy Bey: Mountain Greenery, Chillin' with Andy Bey (Minor Music)
Mark Murphy: Angel Eyes, Love is What Stays (verve)

10:37pm
Herbie Hancock: Blueberry Rhyme, Gershwin's world (verve)
Lionel Loueke; featuring Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter: Light Dark,
Karibu (Blue Note)
Wayne Shorter: Footprints, Footprints Live! (Verve)

11:02pm
Joe Lovano and Hank jones: Four in One, Kids (Blue Note)
Hank Jones: Rhythm-A-Ning, The Great Jazz Trio
Hank Jones: I Mean You, 'Bop Redux/Groovin'High (32 Jazz)

11:21pm
Roy Haynes: Green Chimneys, Homecoming (Evidence)
Steve Turre: Rainbow People, Rainbow People (HighNote)
Jeremy Pelt: Clairvoyant, November (MaxJazz)

11:48pm
Hank Jones: Blues for Lady Day; Yesterdays; You're Blase;
The Night We Called it A Day, Urbanity (Verve)