[JPL] Robin & other new releases

Arturo Gomez arturo at kuvo.org
Wed Aug 6 13:48:15 EDT 2008

jazz89KUVO will begin playing the Robin McKelle recording next week, based
on the feedback from others on the JPL, I gave it a listen ahead of my
regulary scheduled listening day. Other recent vocalists' CDs we are playing
are Anna Maria Flechero with the Cedar Walton Trio, Dwight West and a young
lady from Los Angeles that sounds at least double her age, Rita Edmonds,
when she gets older her voice will take on aged brandy tones ala the Divine
One.

We're enjoying the Elio Villafranca, Bobby Pierce and Andrea Brachfeld
recordings and although very pleased to have the Cos CD with the late Hilton
Ruiz, I find it to be a lukewarm session. Although not a jazz recording,
there are several tracks on the new Irma Thomas CD that should fit into most
jazz programs.

Getting ready to dive into the whirlpool of DNC events, concerts, art
exhibits, film festivals, private parties and deal with the madness of
traffic and over 150,000 visitors to the Mile High City, John Boutté,
Wycliffe Gordon, Henry Butler, Trombone Shorty, René Marie, Carla Cook,
Allan Harris, David Amram, Poncho Sánchez, Arturo Sandoval, George Duke, and
dozens more will all be performing during DNC week keeping us and our
partners WWOZ quite busy.

Arturo