[JPL] Soprano Summit

Peter Solomon psolomon at ideastations.org
Wed Aug 6 18:14:49 EDT 2008

Personally I like Arbors records but their product can sometimes have a
limited appeal (i.e., the crowd that loves the more traditional stuff).
Anyway, if you haven't checked out the new double cd called "Soprano
Summit" I hope you get a chance to listen to it. It's the best of the lot
of some live recordings made in Jersey in the seventies and Dan
Morgenstern apparently was the curator, (if that's the right word.)
There's some nice guitar work from Marty Grosz, there's some really pretty
cornet playing by Ruby Braff, George Duvivier really swings and of course
Kenny Davern, Bob Wilber and Dick Wellstood make wonderful contributions.
I think the record stands out. But that is just me.