[JPL] Next week on Satellite Radio's Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Aug 7 10:04:24 EDT 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAT METHENY!!!...all week we’ll celebrate Pat’s birthday with various specials…plus Michelle gets funky as usual on Jammin’ Jazz, and we’ll spring two major, new releases on you on our Premier Sunday!  Come join us in a Brave, Cool World!

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
(((XM))) SATELLiTE RADiO
33 West 60th Street
10th Floor
New York, NY 10023
russ.davis at xmradio.com

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (11-17 August 2008)

Twice this Monday, August 11th we’ll present another edition of MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the music of PAT METHENY! It’s the kick-off of our week-long celebration of Pat Metheny’s birthday on Tuesday, August 12th. You’ll hear his solo work, his work with The Pat Metheny Group, his collaborations with artists like Jaco Pastorius, Ornette Coleman, Gary Burton, John Scofield and more, all interspersed with some of Pat’s own words to shed light on his wonderful career. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and as PAT METHENY turns 54 on Tuesday the 12th we’ll get a jump on the celebration with MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS featuring an hour of his music this Monday.

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino...an hour of jamband jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. This week, Michelle focuses on some of the great groups in the jazzy-jamband genre such as The New Mastersounds, Club D’Elf, Garage-A-Trois, Medeski, Martin & Wood, The Boston Horns and more.

This Wednesday and Sunday, we’ll continue our week-long celebration of the birthday of one of the greats of Modern jazz with THE PAT METHENY GROUP LIVE IN TOKYO on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern time/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 7 PM Eastern/4 PM Pacific spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week, you’ll hear one of the most dynamic live bands in jazz history as Pat and the band play some of the their concert favorites at Tokyo’s NHK Hall.  It’s “Are You Going With Me?” “Last Train Home,” “Song For Bilbao,” “The Roots Of Coincidence,” and some surprises. It’s THE PAT METHENY GROUP LIVE IN TOKYO on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. We call it, IT’S IF FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!  Well, since Pat Metheny is celebrating his birthday this week we thought we’d also celebrate his considerable contribution to the Fusion era with one of his fusion classics.  He met Gary Burton and Jaco Pastorius and began his professional career when he was only a teenager.  He formed the brilliant Pat Metheny Group when he was only 23 and as you can imagine, there is a lot to choose from. So, each hour beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific, enjoy one of Pat Metheny’s Greatest Fusion Hits, on this weeks edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark joins in our celebration of Pat Metheny’s birthday week with a special show he calls “The Vocal Work of Pat Metheny” featuring Pat songs sung by the likes of Kurt Elling, David Bowie, Poland’s Anna Maria Jopek and more!

Every Saturday is a chance to get to know the stars of Modern Jazz a little better with WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ, and on Saturday, August 16th, we'll celebrate the life, times & music of PAT METHENY, one of the masters of modern jazz, on a special presentation titled HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAT METHENY!  As we close out our week-long celebration of Pat’s birthday this weekend, we’ll enjoy his comments as well as cuts from his solo works, his various collaborations and of course the brilliant music of The Pat Metheny Group. Interview segments followed by music air each hour beginning at Noon and lasting through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific).   It's HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAT METHENY on Saturday’s WORDS & MUSIC.

PREMIER SUNDAY on Beyond Jazz…XM 72
We’ve got two powerhouse releases by two all-star laden powerhouse bands to spring on you this Sunday, August 17th, another PREMIER SUNDAY here on Beyond Jazz. First, never have three guys who all strum, pluck, and beat on 4-stringed instruments ever done so much with their axes as do the instant super-group S.M.V, AKA Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller and Victor Wooten as they show off their considerable talent on a fine, funky, brilliant new CD titled “Thunder.” All three of the guys contribute original songs, there are some great new songs that they all collaborate one and some of their classics reworked for this new project.  Plus there are some famous friends who join in including George Duke, drummer Poogie Bell and others.  A splendid time is guaranteed for all!

Then, it’s the latest from young Japanese-born keyboard sensation Hiromi Uehara, who goes by the single name Hiromi, joined by the man they call “Fuze”, David Fiuczynski, on guitar, and Englishman Tony Grey on bass on Hiromi’s new CD “Beyond Standard.” You will most certainly hear some “standards” from Duke Ellington to Rogers and Hammerstein, but these ain’t your Grandpa’s standards as she also throws in her own “new standards” and even a little Jeff Beck too.

So listen for these new releases beginning at 5 PM Eastern time, that’s 2 PM Pacific, this Sunday, August 17th,  another PREMIER SUNDAY here on Beyond Jazz.

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.