[JPL] Another station drops jazz and other music

Eric Hines ehines at message.nmc.edu
Fri Aug 8 09:46:26 EDT 2008

How do we stop these changes? Jazz programmers have to get as serious
about radio as they are about jazz. I've seen plenty of progress here at
jpl over the years on that issue, but there's still a lot of work to be
done.

One thing that I think needs to happen is that programmers have to rid
themselves of the idea that they,a s radio programmers, owe something to
the genre "jazz" or that this genre has to be kept "pure." Radio is a
mass medium; if you don't use it (less than 1 AQH share in wmub's case),
you lose it. I know a lot of us (including me) have a long way to go in
that respect, but that's the battle we're fighting.

Developing a mindset--and programs--that programs jazz as a part of an
interesting, challenging, sophisticated general music format probably is
the only chance there is for jazz music on radio. And the more musicians
 and radio people ghettoize the music (by making music that appeals
primarily to academic circles--conservatory musicians and a few fellow
travellers; by programming shows consisting largely of such music), the
more likely it will be ghettoized on the radio as well--to places like
HD, which, frankly, is a bad joke which we won't have to kick around for
very long in any case.

--eric

Eric Hines
General Manager
WNMC 90.7 FM
http://www.wnmc.org ( http://www.wnmc.org/ )
1701 East Front St.
Traverse City, MI 49686
231-995-2562

Play in NMC’s scholarship golf outing Aug. 7 (
http://www.nmc.edu/foundation/events/golf-scholarship.html ) (
http://www.nmc.edu/alumni/update.html )

>>> "Dr. Jazz" <drjazz at drjazz.com> 8/7/2008 3:11 PM >>>
This week's sponsor:  JazzWeek Summit 2009 -- dates and venue to be
announced in August; registration opens in September.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WMUB (Miami U) in Ohio has just changed to an all news & info station,

and has moved all music to their HD channel.  From their website:

*Why These Changes?
*As many of our listeners know, in the last 18 months WMUB has been the

subject of a major internal study from Miami University, chaired by
Journalism Program Chair Richard Campbell. The radio environment both
nationally and locally has seen rapid change during that time, but as
General Manager of WMUB I did not feel it was appropriate to institute

anything but very minor changes to our overall programming mix during
this time.

Now that review is over, and it is time for WMUB to move ahead. The
committee's recommendation of dynamic partnerships on and off campus
has
challenged us to live up to our mission as never before:

    * Miami's review affirmed WMUB's role as a public service radio
      station.
    * We believe that commitment is best served by a full-time mix of
      local and national news and information programming.
    * By focusing our format, we believe we will increase our ability
      attract and retain new listeners as well as serve the great
      majority of current listeners.
    * This change thus orients us toward future growth in audience and
      local fundraising capacity.
    * The resources of the WMUB news room will build on the best of
NPR
      and now (for the first time) the BBC.
    * Repeating Diane Rehm and Talk of the Nation reinforces the
      centrality of our news and information format.
    * The repeats give those who can't listen during the daytime the
      chance to experience the depth of NPR's talk shows.
    * The BBC World Service gives an international scope and
perspective
      unmatched by any other available source.
    * Although other stations in the area carry some BBC also, we will
      carry more hours, and at different times.
    * The *HD2 Jazz channel* <http://www.wmub.org/HDradio/> and its
      associated live web stream provide the appropriate vehicles for
      presenting Mama Jazz to her audience as well as our overnight
and
      daytime jazz offerings.
    * We will be able to provide further opportunities to work with
      Miami students in a professional environment.

What can be done to stop this continuing trend by non-commercial
stations?
-Dr.

--
Dr. Jazz