[JPL] Get Out'Tha Ghetto!

Ray Reach rreach at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 8 13:14:38 EDT 2008

Dear Misters Davis and Willis,

As a professional musician of some 45 years, I find validity in some aspects of both your points of view.  Here's my view:  I believe that there are good things to be gleaned from both more traditional ("mainstream") jazz and the so-called "contemporary" or "smooth" jazz

It is my belief that, in the words of Louis Armstrong, there are "...only TWO kinds of music, good music and bad music."  Fact is, there has always been, since the earliest days of recorded music history, lots of mediocre and bad music and precious little good music.  Not all of us (musicians) are in possesion of the high level of talent or skill that it takes to be a Mozart or an Ellington.

However, it is also my firm belief that "the cream will rise to the top."  The quality listeners will always seek out the quality music.

I produce recordings of all sorts, from Country to Gospel to Jazz to Classical.  True, my fave is jazz, but I also appreciate great Bluegrass, Western Swing (a la Bob Wills or Asleep At The Wheel), Pop / R & B (a la Stevie Wonder, Earth, Wind and Fire and Luther Vandross), great Classical (a la Itzak Perlman), etc., etc., etc.

I remember the 1970's when many jazz "purists" thought Chick Corea and Return To Forever and other such fusion groups were the jazz "Anti-Christ."  Nowadays, tunes such as Spain from RTF's "Light As A Feather" album are considered mainstream.

My main point is:  All these genre and subgenre of jazz don't have to be mutually exclusive.  Jazz will continue to evolve.  If it doesn't, it will surely die.  So, at this point, I guess I agree with Mr. Davis.  Let's "lighten up."  Yes, there are a lot of "dumb" (low artistic content) smooth jazz recordings out there.  But, I've also heard a lot of "stupid," poorly executed "pure" jazz recordings.

Dare I say this?  I've heard some cuts by John Coltrane and others wherein the intonation problems are massive, but they were still released.  And live recordings of various "pure jazz" artists that exhibited ensemble problems, problems with balance and blend, and poorly executed improvised solos, yet they became "hit" jazz recordings.  Or recordings of the Ellington band which sounded as if most of the band was drunk.  (They may have been.)

Are these poor quality "pure" jazz recordings any better than some of the slickly produced, but unimaginative, smooth jazz recordings.  I think not.  In fact, I've heard contemporary jazz recordings such as the recent effort by Al Jarreau and George Benson, which got slammed by the critics, and I thought it was wonderful!  The arrangements were extremely clever, the production was top drawer, the performances were incredible, yet the critics gave it a "thumbs down."  Often I wonder if many critics are bipolar, and if they were having a depressed day when the wrote certain reviews.

All the best,

Ray
--
Ray Reach

Pianist / Vocalist / Guitarist /
Arranger / Composer / Producer
CEO, Magic City Music Productions
207 Three Sons Drive
Birmingham, AL 35226
Director of Student Jazz Programs,
Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame
www.jazzhall.com
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Reach
www.allaboutjazz.com/php/musician.php?id=1874
www.myspace.com/rayreachmusic
Cellular: 205-960-6328

-------------- Original message from mileswillis at wpfw.org: --------------

This week's sponsor: JazzWeek Summit 2009 -- dates and venue to be announced in