[JPL] David Sanborn

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Fri Aug 8 19:22:00 EDT 2008

I remember when David Sanborn joined the Butterfield Blues Band in 1967, the
year Paul Butterfield introduced the first of his bands to include a horn
section.  The blend of Butterfield's harp, Elvin Bishop's guitar, and
saxophonists Gene Dinwiddie and Sanborn made for some of the most innovative
and inventive music of the era.  That same year, Butterfield's former
sideman, guitarist Michael Bloomfield, founded the Electric Flag, a
horn-driven band that also featured the late Buddy Miles.  Both of these
groups found Butterfield and Bloomfield expanding on the Chicago Blues idiom
that first brought them renown into a broad mix of r&b, rock and jazz.
Sanborn worked with Butterfield until 1972, and plays impressive solos on
the recordings "The Resurrection of Pigboy Crabshaw, "Keep on Moving," and
"Sometimes I Just Feel Like Smilin'."  Butterfield's 1968 recording "In My
Own Dream" features some of Sanborn's most creative playing on both alto and
soprano saxophones.

I haven't followed Sanborn's solo career, but I've always appreciated the
respect and humility he displays toward the great masters of the idiom in
his reluctance to call himself a jazz musician, as he did as recently as
last Saturday on NPR's Weekend Edition.
Here's a link to the feature with Scott Simon.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=93198714

Tom Reney
"Jazz à la Mode"
Monday-Friday, 8-11 p.m.