[JPL] David Sanborn

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 22:46:34 EDT 2008

One of the more interesting stories with that Butterfield period Tom was with drummer Phillip Wilson. He was doing work with the Art Ensemble of Chicago and Roscoe Mitchell at the time when Paul asked him to join his group. Talk about variation. Phillip...I understand it...was the one that invited David Sanborn to a session with the Butterfield band. He sat in and that's when that relationship began. Phillip Wilson was one of the great avant garde drummers but could obviously lay down the blues grooves.

Jae Sinnett