[JPL] David Sanborn

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Fri Aug 8 23:29:12 EDT 2008

Wilson was a wonderfully brash presence.  Dig him on David Murray's Low
Class Conspiracy.  And the variety of moods he explores with Lester Bowie on
their duo recording. Wilson and Sanborn were from St. Louis, where the music
scene was livened by B.A.G. (Black Arts Group).  Julius Hemphill was there
too, and Sanborn studied with him.  Also based in St. Louis were the great
bluesmen Little Milton and Albert King, and Sanborn played with them before
his stint with Butterfield began.

I used to spend a lot of time with Archie Shepp, and on a drive to NYC from
Amherst about 30 years ago, I was playing a compilation tape of blues
harpists.
I remember that Archie was particularly impressed with Little Walter's
blowing behind Muddy Waters on "Just to Be With You," asking me to replay
Walter's break numerous times, and Butterfield's recordings of "Work Song"
and "Everything's Gonna Be Alright."  He wasn't terribly familiar with
Paul's work, and I mentioned some of the cats who'd been on his bands,
including Wilson, whom Archie knew.  Once we got to the city, we stopped at
a place in the West Village for a little late night recreation, and who
should answer the door but Phil.  Small world.  I saw Phil with the BBB many
times, and still enjoy his singing and Butter's fierce blowing on "Get
Yourself Together" from In My Own Dream.

Tom Reney