[JPL] David Sanborn

ANTNYBROWN at aol.com ANTNYBROWN at aol.com
Sat Aug 9 00:42:45 EDT 2008

Since we are celebrating thee Mr. Phillip Wilson --

"Mad Dog" (as his constant foil Lester Bowie always called him) was loved by
many for his singular talents. I played many creative music festivals in
Europe in the 1980s. I remember one at Nickelsdorf, Austria, in which my group
(United Front) followed one group with the incomparable Han Bennik. At one point
he stuffed a newspaper in the hi-hat and later lit it on fire, then kicked it
over and stomped it out. After them, Mad Dog appeared with Roots to the Source
who, by the end of their roof raising set, had demolished the snare and bass
drum pedal. I had to follow them on the remnants in their wake. Oh, those were
the days . . .

AB

Anthony Brown, Ph.D.
Director
Asian American Orchestra,
Fifth Stream Music, Inc.
www.anthonybrown.org
(510) 428-2126

Join the Asian American Orchestra in celebrating their 10th anniversary at
YOSHI'S San Francisco on the 11th of September
(http://sf.yoshis.com/sf/jazzclub).