[JPL] Get Help Fast!

mileswillis at wpfw.org mileswillis at wpfw.org
Sat Aug 9 11:23:48 EDT 2008

   Eric,

     You said, "That jazz 'stood on it own' for 100 years is just a
myth." And the only evidence that you cite for this feeble-minded
assertion is the nebulous claim that it was 'freely mixed with all
kinds of other stuff'? Are you serious? Well then do you suppose that
jazz became a stand-alone art form? And when did it cease to be mixed
with 'other stuff', given that jazz presently is often mixed with such
'other stuff' as world music, broadway show tunes and hip-hop. With
that rationale, one could conclude that jazz has never been a distinct
form. And, for that matter, neither has anything else! Rock music, for
example continues to be infused with 'such stuff' as blues, soul and,
dare I say it, JAZZ.

        You think that we should 'mix in' real jazz with other forms
of music? In other words, we shouldn't have specific jazz
programming at all. Right?

        Kindly explain how a 'great jazz show' can simultaneously be
boring and presented by an equally bored host? What was 'great' and/or
'boring about it?

   As for your statemant that "jazz musicians (should be) making music
with an audience in mind that is broader than their fellow musicians",
what is your rationale for believing that they do? Are you referring
to ALL jazz musicians or just the ones you don't like?

        Lastly, I find it shameful, inexcusable and totally
inexplicable that you would describe the pioneeering music, which you
OBVIOUSLY have not listened to, that seminal guitarist Lonnie
Johnson recorded with Duke Ellington in 1927, and Louis Armstrong's
Hot Fives as well, as "awful pop dreck".

     If your only excuse for these tired canards masquerading as a
valid point of view is that you wrote them while you were doing your
show, then in the future please wait until your shift is over! Taking
time to think and carefully assemble one's thoughts keeps you from
sounding stupid! I thought that you were at least well-intentioned if
mis-guided. I didn't realize that you are pitiably, hopelessly
ignorant! Read some books, dude! I recommend these appropriately (for
you) titled works; /Jazz For Dummies/ and The /Complete Idiot's Guide
to Jazz./

   Contemptuously,
Miles Willis
WPFW