[JPL] Response to Benjamin Boddie

Linda Yohn lyohn at emich.edu
Sun Aug 10 11:57:53 EDT 2008

Hello Ben,

Thanks for taking time to read the thread.

I guess I wasn't clear in my post.  I would never suggest that radio
hosts not identify the music that was just played or about to be played.
 That is a personal service that we provide that no software will ever
be able to replace.  Good radio hosts can even give a little personal
spin on the music.

I write from the perspective of one who is on the air for 3 1/2 hours
five days a week.  Two or three years ago I might program my show around
a particular concept, artist, event or some such only intellectual or
factual concept.  For the long-time jazz lover, such programming is
heaven.  But for the novice, this wears thin.

I'll share a sad story of how I blew it with a novice listener because I
"me" was too concerned with my concept.  I was honoring Chick Corea.  A
young listener called and wanted to hear more Flora Purim.  I told the
fellow that Chick Corea was the subject today, not Flora, but that I
would try to play some more of her music.  He told me that I did not
care about listeners, that I only cared about my concept.  And, he was
right.  I learned that they are number one.  I can only pray that the
listener forgave me and continued to listen.

So, in today's WEMU programming concept, I will occasionally honor
someone on their birthday or program with a great jazz event in mind.
But, the programming will be mixed with some sets that are simply about
how much better one piece of music sounds and feels contrasted with
another piece of music.  I often say that a great set of programmer ears
and inspiration can make one piece of music sound better given the one
that follows or precedes it.  And, we will identify each piece of music!

I'm on the air 17 1/2 hours a week.  I play music for people driving,
exercising and working.  I have to keep them filled with great energy to
get through the day.  I'll give them just enough information to make it
interesting and get the point across, but then I'll get back to music in
90 seconds so I keep the intriguing musical energy flowing.

Hope that clarifies my point.

Keep groovin,

Linda

Linda Yohn