[JPL] Response to Benjamin Boddie

louisx at verizon.net louisx at verizon.net
Sun Aug 10 12:48:33 EDT 2008

This has been interesting. I've only been doing a show for a couple of
years, but what I find is most successful for me is, one, to realize that I
can't please everybody, and two (resulting from number one) that it's best
to do as often as I can the things that are closest to my heart. This is the
type of radio I always liked as a kid, and was what brought me to jazz. The
listeners pick up on the enthusiasm and I've expanded a core audience by
doing this. While the personnel and dates are important, I don't just stick
to those types of facts. I'll play various pieces of music to show related
influences, influences on pop music, or illustrate regional differences in
sound, etc.  This keeps the music flowing, rather than the talk,  and has
also helped me pick up younger audiences.