[JPL] Box sets?

David Johnson djohnso2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 10 22:04:12 EDT 2008

It does seem as if Mosaic's the prime label for jazz box-sets these days.  In addition to the Braxton, I'm really looking forward to the Ahmad Jamal Argo and Benny Goodman Columbia sets that they have in the pipeline.

>From a premium viewpoint, have you looked into Sony/BMG's recent budget collections of Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, Fats Waller, Duke Ellington, and others?  I just got the Ellington, and it's a great (and good-sounding) 4-CD anthology of the 1930s band...ridiculously affordable, too.

Concord just put out a 2-CD set of Return to Forever material that might find favor with younger listeners and fans of fusion.

David Brent Johnson
Night Lights/Afterglow
WFIU-Bloomington, IN