[JPL] Kenny Kirkland

onthebeach at aol.com onthebeach at aol.com
Mon Aug 11 18:07:47 EDT 2008

 tonedeafe writes:

That actually was NOT his only cd. Thunder and Rainbows was done with Jeff Tain
Watts?in 1995.?Kenny's self titled, Kenny Kirkland came after that and Chance
appears on that recording.

 just to set the record straight:? Kenny Kirkland (sadly) only recorded 1 album as a leader.? his eponymous debut disc was released on GRP Records (although Kenny was signed to Cranberry/Impulse!, and recorded the album for Impulse!) after MCA Jazz was folded into MCA's then distributed GRP label {setting the stage for the Verve Group to be created, following MCA acquiring Polygram}. "Chance" does in fact appear on this recording.

i know this to be the case, because i signed Kenny and oversaw the production of that sensational album.

Thunder and Rainbows is a compilation record, it is not a Kenny Kirkland record.? Kenny appears as a sideman, with Jeff "Tain" Watts on two selections--credited to Tain.? "T & R" was originally released overseas in mid 1991
{AFTER the release of Kenny's disc}. Sunnyside reissued the T & R sessions in the US in 1995.

we miss you kenny!

ricky schultz
www.jazzconsultant.com

??