[JPL] Re: A-Trane Playlist August 8th - CFRO Vancouver BC

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 02:07:20 EDT 2008

 *A-Trane Playlist August 8th 2008 featuring guest Fred Stride*

No. * Song title * * * Artist *:* Recording * * Label * Instrumental *[MAPL]

1 * Take the A-Train * * * Duke Ellington Orchestra w. Betty Roche & Paul
Gonsalves *:* Hi-Fi Ellington Uptown * * Columbia * No * [----]

2 * Africa * * * John Coltrane/Eric Dolphy *:* Complete Africa/Brass * *Impulse
* yes * [----]

3 * Opposition Party * * * Fred Stride Jazz Orchestra *:* Forward
Motion * *Cellar Live
* yes * [MAP-]
4 * Tone Parallel to Harlem * * * Duke Ellington Orchestra *:* Hi-Fi
Ellington Uptown * * Columbia * yes * [----]

5 * In A Sentimental Mood * * * Vienna Art Orchestra *:* Duke Ellington's
Sound of Love Vol.2 * * Emarcy * yes * [----]
6 * Smada * * * Duke Ellington Orchestra *:* ...and his mother called him
bill * * RCA * yes * [----]
7 * Caravan * * * Duke Ellington Orchestra featuring Juan Tizol & Ray Nance
*:* Greatest Hits * * RCA * yes * [----]
8 * Off in the distance, I see a … Caravan * * * Pierre Dorge New Jungle
Orchestra *:* Karawane * * Olafsen * yes * [----]

9 * Mra * * * Brotherhood of Breath *:* Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of
Breath * * RCA Neon * yes * [----]
10 * Madness in Great Ones * * * Duke Ellington *:* Such Sweet Thunder
* *French RCA
* yes * [----]
11 * Switch * * * Jazz: The African Sound *:* Chris McGregor & the Castle
Lager Big Band * * Gallo * yes * [----]

12 * Fair Wind * * * Collage *:* Ron Collier Orchestra Featuring Duke
Ellington * * Attic * yes * [MAP-]
13 * What am I Here For? * * * Rob McConnell *:* Our 25th Year * * Concord *yes
* [MAP-]
14 * A Few Shades Darker * * * Fred Stride Jazz Orchestra *:* Forward Motion
* * Cellar Live * yes * [MAP-]

15 * Come Sunday * * * Sacred Music of Duke Ellington *:* Seattle Jazz
Repertory Orchestra featuring Dee Daniels * * Origin * yes * [----]
16 * Sonny's Dream * * * Birth of the New Cool *:* Sonny Criss Orchestra
arranged and Conducted by Horace Tapscott * * Prestige/OJC * yes * [----]
17 * Tah-DUM * * * Bob Brookmeyer New Art Orchestra *:* Get Well Soon
* *Challenge
* yes * [----]

18 * 8 1/2 * * * Carla Bley Big Band *:* Amarcord Nino Rota * * Hannibal *yes
* [----]

As promised, Fred Stride came down to the studio and brought down some of
his favorites and I brought down some faves, and we actually ending up
bringing quite a few things in common. You can tell we had a lot of fun
talking since we played comparatively few tunes (although some great ones),
we talked continuously off-air while the music was on and ended up standing
in the hallway for 20 minutes yakking after the show was over.

Along the way we covered a lot about Fred's background, historical tidbits
and the contemporary state of writing for large ensembles. In fact I had to
keep reminding him to mention the nominal reason for his visit, the upcoming
concert that's part of Festival Vancouver (tomorrow night now):

 Quote:

*Duke, Dee and Me
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 8:00 pm • Christ Church Cathedral*

Fred Stride Jazz Orchestra with special guest Dee Daniels

Fred Stride has spent the past 40 years honing his skills as a composer and
leader of large jazz ensembles, and Duke Ellington has been one of his
greatest influences and inspirations. He salutes his muse with this concert,
a celebration of Ellington's works along with a sampling of Stride's own
compositions for large jazz ensemble. Dee Daniels adds the vocal icing to
the cake, working with a superb 20-piece group that includes Brad Turner
(trumpet) and Ross Taggart (saxophone). Expect to hear the exquisite Billy
Strayhorn arrangement of Ellington's Come Sunday, and other great
Ellington-inspired tunes.

Although the radio show is not packaged up as a podcast, you can still
listen to mp3s which make up the show from the station archives, the show
starts about 28:20 into the Part 1 file:

Part 1 : http://cfro.virishi.net/mp3/t1218233286.mp3
Part 2 : http://cfro.virishi.net/mp3/t1218236886.mp3
Part 3 : http://cfro.virishi.net/mp3/t1218240485.mp3
Part 4 : http://cfro.virishi.net/mp3/t1218244085.mp3

Thanks to the folks who called and requested the playlist and thanks to Fred
Stride for coming down and contributing to such a fun show - catch the
Orchestra tomorrow night, should be even more fun; back on Friday for more
great tunes ... N
__________________
 Posted to:
  http://vancouverjazz.com/forums