[JPL] Newport

TomtheJazzman tomthejazzman at embarqmail.com
Tue Aug 12 23:21:23 EDT 2008

I certainly have a different opinion regarding the JVC Newport
Festival.  The URBAN music did not fit with the other performances.
Aretha is not what I am talking about.  Le;isi and Anthony Hamilton
certainly did not fit the mold of this Festival and had very few
followers there.

Chris Potter really showed he is the heir apparent to the Michael
Brecker followers in his performances with Dave Holland, Herbie Hancock
and Marco Benevento.   Anat Cohen, say ANOT, was awesome with George
Wein as was Esperance Spalding.  The Mark Rapp band played some very
tasteful selection with a new release coming next month.  He plays a
cool trumpet.   It was good to see and hear Jimmy Cobb playing with
George Wein, expecially being the lone survivor of the Kind Of Blue Band
with Miles.  Jimmy has a new release on Chesky.  Another of the
highlights was Warren Vache with John Alred on Trombone.

Lionel Loueke did not disappoint in his own set or while playing with
Herbie.

Many of us commented we were disappointed that Chris Botti played the
same set Friday night and Saturday afternoon with the same jokes and
comment.  Mark Whitfield and Billy Childs were killers as was Billy
Kilson on drums.  Ledisi did the same set both Friday night and
Saturday, but she has only one CD and not much book so that could be
expected.

Herbie did a wonderful set as did Sonny Rollins.

The new organization, Festival Network is learning and will get better.
Most and generally the festival was good but not one of the stronger
festivals.  I thought the attendance was down quite a bit from previous
years.

Those are my few cents worth.
ALOHA
Tom