[JPL] Newport

Jeff Turton jturton at comcast.net
Wed Aug 13 05:44:50 EDT 2008

I think I'd have to agree with Tom on a couple of things. I thought
Ledisi was barely more than a screamer. It was painful at times.
Anthony Hamilton was just bad. Chris Potter is the new Iron Man of
Jazz based on this weekend. Melody Gardot was able to keep the
attention of the outdoor crowd and delivered a wonderful performance.
Besides the great band George had with him, George seemed like a kid
at the piano. He had great energy, played well and I had no idea he
could still sing. It was a fun set. I also really enjoyed Christian
Scott's set on Saturday and Esperanza Spalding was terrific and will
not be on the small stage next year. Lionel Loueke was great with him
group and also with Herbie. As usual it was tough to see even a
little bit of everything.

I would slightly disagree with Tom on the Festival Network and their
PR Firm. They have a lot to learn about the New England market and
the Media. It was total confusion dealing with them and if you were a
journalist looking for personnel or set lists backstage, good luck.
If that person existed they didn't make themselves obvious. There was
also no performance schedule information available to the media until
we were on site. More than anything though they had no idea who to
deal with in the Boston and Providence markets. They came in to the
market and reinvented the wheel. Most of us had to seek the people
responsible for the media contacts for the festival. Crowds were
definitely down especially on Sunday so I'm suspecting that Aretha
may have helped Saturday sales. I also suspect that the Festival
Network's lack of knowledge about the media markets served by the
Festival also had a lot to do with the lower turnout.

Jeff Turton
WFNX Jazz Brunch