[JPL] Joel Dorn profiled

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Wed Aug 13 06:25:30 EDT 2008

One of the more enjoyable reads I've found lately is Josh Alan Friedman's
"Tell the Truth Until They Bleed: Coming Clean in the Dirty World of Blues
and Rock'n'Roll."  (Backbeat Books)  It contains fifteen idiosyncratic
tales, including a lengthy essay on Jerry Lieber ("Kiss My Big Black
Tokhis!") and a candid profile of Joel Dorn ("The Masked Announcer Rides
Again"), who says that he "spots talent" for a living. "I pick out a good
butcher, a good tailor.  That's my gift."
Elsewhere Friedman writes of Mose Allison, Doc Pomus, Dr. John, Fathead
Newman, Cornell Dupree, Chuck Rainey, Sam Myers, et.al.

Tom Reney
"Jazz à la Mode"
Monday-Friday, 8-11 p.m.

WFCR 88.5 FM