[JPL] Newport

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Wed Aug 13 10:21:34 EDT 2008

Jeff Turton wrote:

> I would slightly disagree with Tom on the Festival Network and their PR
> Firm. They have a lot to learn about the New England market and the
> Media. It was total confusion dealing with them and if you were a
> journalist looking for personnel or set lists backstage, good luck. If
> that person existed they didn't make themselves obvious. There was also
> no performance schedule information available to the media until we were
> on site. More than anything though they had no idea who to deal with in
> the Boston and Providence markets. They came in to the market and
> reinvented the wheel. Most of us had to seek the people responsible for
> the media contacts for the festival. Crowds were definitely down
> especially on Sunday so I'm suspecting that Aretha may have helped
> Saturday sales. I also suspect that the Festival Network's lack of
> knowledge about the media markets served by the Festival also had a lot
> to do with the lower turnout.

I think the festival's previous PR person, Sue Auclair set the bar very
high. She hustled for months on the festival as you know Jeff. Jazz is
not just a job for her. It is music that she loves and besides her
professionalism, I think it was her love of the music that drove her to
work so hard. Her experience is also hard to replace as she worked on
the festival for close to twenty years in addition to the other work she
did, like PR for Scullers, Tanglewood Jazz Festival and the old Boston
Globe Jazz Festival. She definitely knows the media market.

I think the things you mentioned show how much her work was missed from
Newport. To not hire her was a big mistake.

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston
www.wgbh.org/jazz