[JPL] Newport

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Wed Aug 13 10:39:04 EDT 2008

Tom Reney wrote:

> One thing to be said for the new Newport operation is that they knew
> enough to reach our Development Department to purchase a few weeks worth
> of underwriting and offer a few dozen ticket giveaways.  But I didn't
> hear a word from them, and so relied on their website for promotional
> purposes.

I think I remember us doing grantor credits for the folk festival but I
don't recall us doing grantor credits for the jazz festival. Maybe it
was just for a short time and I just forgot.

The contact I had with them was pretty late in the game. They contacted
our Program Manager and he forwarded the email to me after which I
contacted their press office. There was some talk of trying to get
someone on my show to talk about the festival. Christian Scott did come
on my show last week.

In the past Sue Auclair would have tried to get George on the show. Also
since she would have been aware that a number of those artists have
Boston connections, Sue would have investigated the possibility of
getting one of them on the show if they were going to be in the area.
Actually I saw that Christian was going to be at Berklee last Thursday
so I wrote Newport's PR person and asked if it was possible he could
come on my show the night before. In the past, I think Sue was so aware
of what was going on that I would never have had to ask. She would have
known about Christian's appearance and asked me about an interview.

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston
www.wgbh.org/jazz