[JPL] Newport

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Wed Aug 13 11:53:59 EDT 2008

Tom Reney wrote:

> Sue Auclair was definitely missed, as was the wonderful festival preview
> dinner party that George would host in Boston or Newport.  I heard Chevy
> Chase was really
> off the wall.

Sue took care of a lot of the arrangements for the dinner party.

I didn't make either day of Newport this year because I was sick. Last
year I remember that a group of us press folks gathered back stage with
Chevy Chase. He admitted that he doesn't know much about today's jazz
players. He knew Bill Evans and some of the 60s legendary jazz figures
but he said he had little or no contact with what's happening in the
jazz world. To me he's really unnecessary but I guess the people
producing the festival think he has some sort of draw or attracting
powers although they don't really promote him as the host. I just have
to wonder, does he really add anything positive to the day?

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston
www.wgbh.org/jazz