[JPL] Get Out'Tha Ghetto!

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 12:09:12 EDT 2008

The mouth piece thing always puzzled me...why didn't he try another one? Perhaps he did but it seems to me saxophonists have more problems with their reeds than the mouthpiece. It's really a combination of things. I'm not sure I would say that was the sole issue with him even though he talked about it. What I do know is that Trane had terrible teeth and was terrified of the dentist. In fact Miles discouraged him from going...even going as far as saying something to him that implied "they" don't look out for "our" best interest...all with the point of making him afraid of going. Funny really but consider that major dental work can affect your embouchure and this was the reason Miles didn't want him to go. He thought it would change Trane's sound. It's an intriguing thought. Eventually Trane did go and had major work done and now one could debate if that had an affect on the way he played.

Jae Sinnett