[JPL] Get Out'Tha Ghetto!

MICHAEL P STRATTON dreamtrane at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 13 12:23:16 EDT 2008

I don't recall the year but I'm thinking it was 62 or
63 when Trane's favorite reed split. He was getting
exactly the sound he wanted and would search high and
low to find one with the same match but could never
get it.

Did it effect his sound? Or did it effect his
experience of playing? Trane practiced compulsively -
like during the breaks on gigs, sometimes.

I tried to find reference of this in a couple of books
- I think I read it in a bio on Trane that doesn't
seem to be in my bookshelves - who knows, maybe I lent
it out?

But it reminds me of a Groucho line (and I warn you
that this is a very loose association) when he was
interviewing a woman who had 14 children and he asked,

"Madam, how do you explain that?"
"What can I say, Groucho? I love my husband."
"I love my cigar, but sometimes I take it out of my
mouth."

Somehow that got by the censors.

Mike

http://www.nmc.edu/foundation/events/golf-scholarship.html