[JPL] origins of so-called 'dixieland' jazz question

MICHAEL P STRATTON dreamtrane at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 13 13:00:15 EDT 2008

I cut and pasted the below from Wikipedia - this
article, by Steve Teeter, seems to be echoed by a
couple of other sources.

Mike

3.    THE ORIGINS OF THE WORD DIXIELAND - By Steve
Teeter.

Jazz Curator, Louisiana State Museum, (504) 568-6968,
New Orleans, LA
steeter at crt.state.la.us
http://www.crt.state.la.us/crt/museum/lsmnet3.htm
The term "Dixie" comes from New Orleans. From its
founding, New Orleans was the major commercial and
financial center in the entire region, and many banks
issued their own banknotes (legal at that time). These
were printed in French, or French and English, and one
of the most common denominations was the ten dollar
bill. "Ten" in French is "dix", which was printed in
large letters on the back. Following the Louisiana
Purchase in 1803, as more and more Americans came into
the area, these came to be known as "Dixies." Since a
banknote is only as good as the bank backing it, and
since many of the most reliable banks were in New
Orleans, dixies came to be the preferred banknote
throughout much of the region, and the region itself
became associated with the word, becoming Dixie, the
Land of Dixie, or Dixieland. The association became
stronger during the Civil War when D.D. Emmett's 1859
song "Dixie Land" was adopted by the Confederate Army
as a marching song.

When jazz, or jass, was first starting to make waves
in Chicago around 1915, its somewhat exotic
regionalism was part of its appeal. Musicians and
promoters like Tom Brown, Johnny Stein, and Nick
LaRocca used the word to highlight their regional
origins. Then in 1917 LaRocca's band, the Original
Dixieland 'Jass' Band, made a sensation with their
record of "Dixieland Jass Band One-Step / Livery
Stable Blues" (Victor 18255) and the word was
permanently linked in the public mind with this new
and irresistible style of music.