[JPL] origins of so-called 'dixieland' jazz question

Eric Hines ehines at message.nmc.edu
Wed Aug 13 13:31:49 EDT 2008

The word goes way back, as Non Dadoun points out. Nick's in NYC (where the Condon gang played) was called Nicksieland I think going back to the early 1940s or so.

1939-40 was a big time for revival music: Mugsy Spanier, ODJB reunion, Bunk Johnson rediscovered, Spirtuals to Swing.

About this time you can hear trad jazz get relatively ossified, in Bechet's music, in the Condon gang's music. In the 1930s these people made interesting music, using elements of Swing & Chicago-style jazz, playing a varied repertoire; in the 1940s it became generic and the repertoire narrowed considerably, concentrating on tunes that were considered to be "authentic."

That, to my mind, was the birth of dixieland.

--eric

Eric Hines
General Manager
WNMC 90.7 FM
http://www.wnmc.org ( http://www.wnmc.org/ )
1701 East Front St.
Traverse City, MI 49686
231-995-2562

Consider a planned gift to NMC ( http://www.nmc.edu/foundation/giving/planned-giving.html ) ( http://www.nmc.edu/alumni/update.html )

>>> "Arturo Gomez" <arturo at kuvo.org> 8/13/2008 12:51 PM >>>
This week's sponsor:  Lisa Hilton

Composer/pianist Lisa Hilton's latest release, ''Sunny Day Theory'' heads to jazz radio next week.  Hilton is joined by top talent Lewis Nash on drums, Larry Grenadier on bass and Brice Winston on tenor sax.  Eighteen time Grammy winner, Al Schmitt recorded and mixed the 12 track release.

What is the ''Sunny Day Theory''?  Hilton smiles, &amp;quot;My engineer Larry Mah made me laugh recounting a 'Foggy Day Theory', so I countered with a 'Sunny Day Theory' which basically assumes that difficulties, if embraced honestly,  create opportunity for growth.  Life can be challenging: I've realized after a rough year that the complex can be dealt with one step at a time, that there can be depth in something as simple as a melody, beauty within the blues, and that with tomorrow there is always the hope for a sunny day.''
LisaHiltonMusic.com
''Sunny Day Theory''/Ruby Slippers Productions promotion by Jane Dashow/Jazzzdog.com

Any JPL member know the origins of the term "dixieland" jazz for traditional
New Orleans jazz style? I never use the term and don't like the implications
of the IMO erroneous category name, however I do enjoy the music regardless
of label.

Arturo