[JPL] origins of so-called 'dixieland' jazz question

Jeff Duperon mrjazzjr at sprintmail.com
Wed Aug 13 13:57:18 EDT 2008

Correction to Nou's point.  The Original Dixieland Jazz Band, who billed
themselves "The Creators of Jazz", recorded the first Jazz music [sic] on
records and were simply a group of White guys who copied African-American
music, and called it their own. The musician's who play Traditional New
Orleans music will never and have never used the term 'Dixieland' to
describe their music.

Jeff Duperon

mrjazzjr at sprintmail.com

http://www.myspace.com/mrjazzjr

"When you control a man's thinking you do not have to worry about his
actions.  You do not have to tell him not to stand here or go yonder. He
will find his 'proper place' and will stay in it.  You do not need to send
him to the back door.  He will go without being told.  In fact, if there is
no back door, he will cut one for his special benefit. His education makes
it necessary." Carter G. Woodson, circa 1933

Note: This e-mail is intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may
contain information that is privileged and/or confidential.  If you have
received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender at
215-482-1402 and delete the e-mail from your computer.