[JPL] origins of so-called 'dixieland' jazz question

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Wed Aug 13 14:37:23 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/13/2008 2:10:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jaejazz at yahoo.com writes:

<<..there are differences...albeit subtle... in so called  "dixieland" and
"traditional" jazz. Many of the NO musicians would say the  main difference
would be in how the beat is interpreted. I also think  too...there is more of a
blues element in the traditional jazz  bands..>>

I have this discussion with friends, every now and then. It's like beauty  or
porn, I know it when I hear it, even if I can't define or explain it.

I don't consider myself a Dixieland Jazz fan, yet one of my favorite bands
is the New Black Eagle Jazz Band. Go figure, eh? I mentioned they're playing
the  Pittsfield CityJazz Festival this year, and someone said, "I don't like
Dixieland Jazz." I reply, "Neither to I," and then I'm stymied at how  to
explain the apparent contradiction.

Seeya'
Ed

Read reviews on AOL Autos.