[JPL] origins of so-called 'dixieland' jazz question

DPolletta at aol.com DPolletta at aol.com
Wed Aug 13 14:47:16 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/13/2008 2:10:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jaejazz at yahoo.com writes:

Ed...there are differences...albeit subtle... in so called "dixieland"  and
"traditional" jazz. Many of the NO musicians would say the main difference
would be in how the beat is interpreted. I also think too...there is more of a
blues element in the traditional jazz bands.>

Jae,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it an issue of much trad early NO Jazz
having more of a two beat feel?  Trad jazz purists weren't all the found of
the trad revival of the 40s, in large part because the rhythm had a much looser
swing feel to it, IIRC.

Dan Polletta
WCPN-FM

Read reviews on AOL Autos.